Question: Ovarian Cyst with Septations

Mado - Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:26 pm

Eight years ago I had a 10cm benign serous cystadenoma on my left ovary. The doctor removed it as well as my left ovary and tube. I had one child prior to the cyst and three more after with one ovary. I am now 39 years old and have been feeling pain (more than normal) during ovulation and some light bleeding between periods, mainly after intercourse. It has been 2 years since my last pap as my OB-GYN retired and I haven't found another doctor yet. I had my cousin who is an experienced radiologist take a look to see if I had a cyst. She did an ultrasound and said I do indeed have one. It is almost 5cm and she said I should see a doctor asap as it has septations. I guess my question is does having a cyst with septations make it a greater risk for ovarian cancer? Will I have to have it surgically removed or could I "watch and wait" to see if it shrinks or goes away. Thank you for any advice/information you can give me.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:51 am

This is not the type of cyst you should watch and wait with. It's best to be safe just in case it should be malignant. I am surprised you have not complained of pain with this because that is quite common. Please find a doctor you can trust and follow up with.

|