Question: Pregnant with Pinworms?

browneyez0612 - Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:42 pm

I am barely pregnant at 6 weeks, and confirmed that I do, in fact have pinworms. I have two children and I am assuming must have brought the infection home from school. My question is..Is there anything safe for a pregnant woman to take to rid these parasites? I know there are over the counter remedies to treat the whole family, such as Pin-X and Reese's Pinworm Medication, but I do not know that I can take these since I am pregnant. Any advice is appreciated!

PS: I do know for a fact they are pinworms. I had them once before as a teenager. I used to babysit a lot, and am familiar with the symptoms and appearance of the parasite itself.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:38 pm

Most antimicrobial treatments are OK in pregnancy and you can get advice on a particular treatment once you know what is prescribed through teratology services such as otispregnancy.org. You may also have a local hotline for questions about exposures in pregnancy or breastfeeding. The package inserts will always advise against using in pregnancy because medications are not tested in the usual ways to meet the guidelines for indicating safety on packaging. This does not mean it is unsafe in pregnancy; just that you need to check other sources to be sure. Your OB should be consulted about what you use when pregnant.

Best of luck in ridding your family of this pesky problem.

|