News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: Unable to stay pregnant after 6 weeks

babycrzy - Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:17 pm

Hi my husband and I want to try IVF again. I was told the lining of my uterus does not thicken that is why I miss carried and the IVF did not take (twice). No tests were run nor have I been told how to correct this. No one wants to treat the reasons I miss carry they just want to have us try IVF. We do not wish to be disappointed again.
What type of work up should our OB/GYN do before we pursue IVF again?

Thank you
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:08 pm

User avatar Hello,
A general preconception workup would be advisable and your doctor could check for polyps or any infection or underlying problem but other than that, your fertility clinic who does the IVF should be able to advise you on any necessary preparation or treatment for the suspected endometrial problem.

Most miscarriages are due to unknown causes and many are thought to be the result of chromosomal problems with the embryo itself and it's nature's way of taking care of what is not progressing as it should. In some cases a cause is determined or at least suspected and it sounds like this is the case for you where they felt the process of implantation was arrested due to inadequate uterine lining preparation. This is a hormonal issue and perhaps they can help you with that next time. But, the experts in the fertility clinic should be well versed on the options available to you.

Because of the high rate of miscarriage in all pregnancies, nobody can guarantee that you will not be disappointed again this way. There is a certain amount of luck involved after you do everything possible.

Meanwhile, make sure you are at a healthy weight and eating a nutrient-rich diet supplemented with a good multivitamin containing at least 400 mcg folate or folic acid. If you smoke, quit. If you drink alcohol, stop. The same goes for recreational drugs. Then, try to relax and reduce stress even though you are in a situation likely to create stress.

Good luck in your efforts.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here