News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Very Long Off Schedule Period While on Birth Control Pills

ml13 - Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:32 pm

I have been on birth control pills for about 9 years, and have had very regular periods during the entire time. This month, I had a period at the normal time which then ended at the normal time. A week later, it started again. So far, this off schedule bleeding has continued for 14 days with no apparent end in sight. I'm 38 years old, but thought that with the pills controlling hormones, age related irregularity wouldn't happen. I did switch from Yasmin to the generic about 5 months ago at my last doctor visit, but they are supposed to be identical. Is this prolonged, off schedule bleeding normal while on the pill, even after many years of the same pill and a very regular cycle? Also, is it possible that a lower dose pill would regulate my cycle better, now that I'm in my late thirties? Thanks for any help!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:59 pm

User avatar Hello,
While birth control pills can help reduce excessive age-related bleeding it is not always effective. So, this could be the problem. I can't say whether or not a change in pill formulation will help but there are other treatments such as uterine ablation and other hormonal medication so you should discuss this with your doctor.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here