"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Question: No periods for ten years after eating disorder

mish4802 - Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:41 pm

Hi there,
Ten years ago I went on a very restrictive (and silly) diet. My periods stopped immediately - almost as soon as I stopped eating and before I'd even lost any weight. I had quite a bad eating disorder for about two years after that, but I've been a normal weight (BMI about 19) for a number of years now, yet my periods have never returned. I am now 25 years old.

Various doctors have told me not to worry - and that I can just go on Clomid or something similar when I want to have children - but I'd really like to get my periods back sooner than that! Can you recommend what I should do next? I've had blood tests and they've all shown very normal hormone levels except for oestrogen - which is extremely low.

I've tried acupuncture in the past but this has not helped. I went on the Pill for a few years (to help prevent osteoporosis), but I haven't been on the Pill for about five years now.

Thanks for any help you can give me.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:49 pm

I know it is worrisome when things don't seem to be functioning "normally" and tests don't give you the answers. I assume your doctor checked for thyroid and pituitary function as well as sex gland conditions. If not, you may want to see an endocrinologist to see if something is going on. There are many hormones involved in the reproductive cycle and while having a period is not necessary for good overall health, it is necessary for you to ovulate when you want to conceive. This is why your doctor feels you can get help in that when the time comes. Meanwhile you should check your overall health.