Question: Abnormal bleeding on Cerazette mini pill

rach_lilgirl - Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:05 am

I have been taking Cerazette for about 18 months. Until 3 months ago I have had a period only every 4/5 months. I had a period in December, and again in January which were normal (like the ones i had every 4/5 months) and in February I have yesterday had pink spotting only once when I wiped.

Firstly can I ask whether the pink spotting is anything to be worried about- I am sexually active but take my pills on time and use condoms (apart from 2 times in November but didnt trust just the pill so went back to using condoms). Or does this just mean I am expecting my period?

Also does the fact that my periods seem to be getting more regular mean that the pill is not working as well as it did before, as I have heard that the more progesterone, the less bleeding? I have also been told that pink spotting can be caused by low progesterone levels.

Thanks for your help
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:50 am

Hormones fluctuate throughout a woman's life and with her cycles. Because of this variation of menses is common. Pink spotting is nothing to be worried about. It could signal a period coming on or not. It can even occur in early pregnancy but it is perfectly normal.

The regulation of the periods is one of the goals of the pill so it does not mean the pill is no longer working. Try to relax.

|