News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Family History of Ovarian Cancer am I paranoid?

MarciaCue - Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:26 pm

In 1982 my Grandmother on my Mother's side passed away after a short fight against Ovarian Cancer. My Mother had type 1 diabetes but just one month before diabetes took her life she was diagnosed with Ovarian Cancer as well. My Father also passed this past year from a Brain Tumor. And his mother passed from Breast Cancer. I have never really been concerned about the genetic risk factors in my family until recently. My periods have ceased, I experience pelvic pains throughout the day and pressure in my stomach. I have totally lost my energy as well. Since I have suffered with Migraines for the past three years I feel my primary Physician doesn't take my symptoms very seriously. When I told him of these symptoms he suggested it was gas, the results of low thyroid, and stress without any further testing. Am I just being paranoid? Is he probably right? Should I be more cautious about certain symptoms given my family history? My Physician was certainly right about one thing. Now I am stressed someone please help if you have some answers. Thanks for your time.
 Dr. Wafaa Abdel-Hadi - Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:38 pm

Dear MaricaCue,

First of ll ,please accept my condolences for your losses

just relax and take it easy.Tell me, are you married ?,if not do u have a boy friend? so since when did your period stop? before we jump into conclusions...I just want to tell you that stress can REALLY cause diease like syptoms ALL THE TIME! on the other hand, u can ask your GP to order a simple test as a pelvic Ultrasound/duplex , to visualize ovaries and then you'll be certain about what you are feeling.

let's do this step first then we can talk further ahead in details...if there was any evidence,ok? if you are doing your regular blood tests AFTER the pelvic ultrasound and duplex...u can add this test "CA 125" ...but let's first see what the ultrasound will show us and not to jump into conclusions,ok?

Cheer up and think positive 8)
Best regards,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here