News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: 34 weeks pregnant and needing to take valtrex?

sunshine38401 - Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:32 pm

Hi,

I'm 34 weeks pregnant and found out a few weeks ago I have had herpes in the past. My ex called and said him and his girlfriend before me had it as he just found out as he had cancer and I guess the chemo kept it from coming out. Its a small outbreak so the doctors said hes had it for years. We were together for 6 years and the girl before him has it and him and her were together for 7 years.

So I know I've had it for atleast 6-7 years. Him and I have been divorced for 2 years. I'm now 34 weeks pregnant and his outbreaks have consisted of a few small cuts. I have never saw any blisters or outbreaks on me but I do shave the pubic area and sometimes cut myself or have razor burn....so its kinda hard to tell. My OB says I have had an outbreak in the past from the blood test.

She has given me valtrex and told me to start it in the next few days until i deliver....is it safe? She hasnt really gone into detail about anything of the risks or side effects. aslo, is it okay to breastfeed while on valtrex? I've researched a lot, and find mixed feelings on both. I just need a second opinion or thoughts. Please help. I cant take crying anymore. She also want do a c-section unless its absolutely neccessary. They don't do elective ones.

thanks so much!

Sarah
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:47 am

User avatar Hello,
I'm glad to hear your doctor is advising this treatment. It is not only safe but helps ensure the safety of your baby. I am also glad to hear she does not do elective cesareans. The risks of c-section are not always explained, leaving people to believe they are completely safe and even superior to the natural method of childbirth. This is not true. If you had an outbreak of herpes at the time of delivery, the c-section would be necessary and then the benefits would outweigh the risks but with treatment and in the absence of an active lesion, you are best to give birth vaginally. You can also take antiviral drugs while breastfeeding if they are needed and prescribed.

Best wishes on your delivery.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here