Question: 34 weeks pregnant and needing to take valtrex?

sunshine38401 - Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:32 pm

I'm 34 weeks pregnant and found out a few weeks ago I have had herpes in the past. My ex called and said him and his girlfriend before me had it as he just found out as he had cancer and I guess the chemo kept it from coming out. Its a small outbreak so the doctors said hes had it for years. We were together for 6 years and the girl before him has it and him and her were together for 7 years.

So I know I've had it for atleast 6-7 years. Him and I have been divorced for 2 years. I'm now 34 weeks pregnant and his outbreaks have consisted of a few small cuts. I have never saw any blisters or outbreaks on me but I do shave the pubic area and sometimes cut myself or have razor burn....so its kinda hard to tell. My OB says I have had an outbreak in the past from the blood test.

She has given me valtrex and told me to start it in the next few days until i deliver....is it safe? She hasnt really gone into detail about anything of the risks or side effects. aslo, is it okay to breastfeed while on valtrex? I've researched a lot, and find mixed feelings on both. I just need a second opinion or thoughts. Please help. I cant take crying anymore. She also want do a c-section unless its absolutely neccessary. They don't do elective ones.

thanks so much!

Sarah
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:47 am

I'm glad to hear your doctor is advising this treatment. It is not only safe but helps ensure the safety of your baby. I am also glad to hear she does not do elective cesareans. The risks of c-section are not always explained, leaving people to believe they are completely safe and even superior to the natural method of childbirth. This is not true. If you had an outbreak of herpes at the time of delivery, the c-section would be necessary and then the benefits would outweigh the risks but with treatment and in the absence of an active lesion, you are best to give birth vaginally. You can also take antiviral drugs while breastfeeding if they are needed and prescribed.

Best wishes on your delivery.

|