Question: period lasting one day then brown spotting, now sick

proudarmywife - Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:07 am

My last period started on January 16th, my husband and I had sex on January 30th. My cycle normally runs 30 days and i have never had any problems with irregular periods.On February 15th, I started my period, but it lasted like 24-36 hours and started normal, and then got very light.i was surprised when i took out the tampon and there was nothing on it but brown. That has never happened before. I have taken a few hpt's and all are negative.I am currently sick, I feel nauseated, and have been really dizzy, also feeling sick to my stomach. also kind of cramping in my abdomen, but i also notice that my lower abdomen feels tighter and looks a little rounder. My first thought was pregnancy, but with my son, the hpt showed up positive right away, so I am unsure. Any suggestions would be very helpful. Thanks so much!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:31 pm

It is possible you are pregnant and the hcg levels just weren't high enough yet to show up. I would repeat the test after a week and aside from that watch and wait to see what happens. If you are not pregnant you will likely get another period to verify it. It is normal to have light or missed periods too so it could go either way.

Meanwhile be sure to take a good daily multivitamin.

proudarmywife - Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:20 pm

Hello again,
It turns out I missed another period, and it was over a week late, so I made an appointment. I recently married into the military, so we have to be seen on base. So, they gave me an appt with a PA, did a pelvic exam and blood work, I began having some mucus like discharge, and they did an hcg count with blood work and pregnancy was negative. For the past 2 weeks I have been having dull yet at times sharp cramping and pain in my lower abdomen, it mostly hurts in the middle,but the sharp pain comes and goes in my left and right side. I was ordered to get a transvaginal ultrasound because she thinks I may have a cyst. The soonest they can get me in is April 30th, but yet I continue to have this dull and sometimes very painful cramping in my abdomen. I also feel very bloated,and dizzy. I am concerned because i have missed a period, and my last one lasted a day, on top of this cramping and pain.Why is it ok to wait this long for an appointment if my cramping doesn't go away. What am i suppose to do for the next month. i guess i am just really confused as to why it doesnt seem like a big deal. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:18 am

I cannot speak for your physician but I suspect the reason is because it is not likely associated with anything serious, even though it is uncomfortable for you. Cramping pain is something you can live with and perhaps get enough relief with drugs such as ibuprofen and cases with higher risks associated get preference. With limited resources and available time, triage is necessary. I'm sorry you have to wait, but be glad you aren't one of those who must be seen sooner due to serious problems.

Cysts often resolve on their own and there is no treatment that can give you instant relief so try to be patient with this. Use alternative therapies such as massage, heat and distraction to get you through the rough spots. Good luck.

|