News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Early menopause, hormones, and ovarian cyst ?

Mado - Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:49 pm

I am 39 years old with 4 children. My left ovary and tube was removed 8 years ago due to 10cm serous cystedenoma. I had one child prior to the cyst and three more after with one ovary. Fast forward to 8 weeks ago...after complaining of worse than usual ovulation pain and spotting symptoms, my gynecologist did an ultrasound which showed 2 cysts together about 2.5cm each. My doctor also said my day 3 blood tests results indicate that I am in menopause. My FSH level is 31 and my Estrogen is 30. The ultrasound indicated that the cysts were fluid and no indication of cancer. He didn't seemed concerned at the time and said we would watch it another 2 cycles then look again and he would remove them laparoscopically if they're still there. The blood test results came back a few weeks after that ultrasound appointment (due to cycle timing) and he said they are not normal cysts since I'm going through menopause. He also mentioned starting me on hormones. I have always heard negative information about hormones and I'm really confused about what I should do as far taking hormone medication. I am also confused as to why I would have these 2 cysts if I am indeed going through menopause. If the cysts are still there, which I believe they will be as symptoms progressively worse, what would the benefits/risks be to just having my entire ovary removed? I would appreciate any feedback or thoughts about my situation. Thank you.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:14 pm

User avatar Hello,
If you are going through menopause and not desiring more children then losing the ovary might not be significant if this is one of your options. Your doctor would need to advise as to whether such a drastic measure is needed or desirable. Surgery should always be considered seriously since there are potential complications. Obviously having the cysts removed laparoscopically would be a less invasive procedure. Often in order to have insurance pay medical records documenting the need for treatment are needed. This may be the case but you need to talk to your doctor about all your options with risks and benefits of each, including doing nothing.

The negative effects of hormones are usually associated with long term use and smoking along with the pill. Taking them for this purpose is not likely to cause a problem and they might just help without undergoing the knife.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here