Question: Positive pregnancy test but bleeding?

concernedinwi - Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:11 pm

Hello. I have taken 4 at home pregnancy tests and they have come up positive. My last period was Jan 28, which would make me 5 weeks tomorrow. I took the tests the day my period was to come. It did come, just 3 days late. The flow was normal, the first few days, but just some spotting now. Is it possible that I am still pregnant? I was thinking the blood was a miscarriage? I do still feel pregnant. This would be my sixth child. Thanks for your help!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:41 pm

Things could go either way. Bleeding is often a sign of miscarriage but rarely can happen even in a viable pregnancy. You would need to see your doctor to know for sure by ultrasound or repeat the pregnancy test, though hormone levels could be dropping without it being apparent right away. Because miscarriage in the first 10-12 weeks of pregnancy is very common, we know this is a very real possibility. Meanwhile, take it easy and let the doctor know what is happening so if you are miscarrying they can be sure you don't hemorrhage. Most of the time the woman's body takes care of it but in some cases intervention is needed with either medication or D&C if indeed you are losing the pregnancy.

|