News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: Positive pregnancy test but bleeding?

concernedinwi - Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:11 pm

Hello. I have taken 4 at home pregnancy tests and they have come up positive. My last period was Jan 28, which would make me 5 weeks tomorrow. I took the tests the day my period was to come. It did come, just 3 days late. The flow was normal, the first few days, but just some spotting now. Is it possible that I am still pregnant? I was thinking the blood was a miscarriage? I do still feel pregnant. This would be my sixth child. Thanks for your help!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:41 pm

User avatar Hello,
Things could go either way. Bleeding is often a sign of miscarriage but rarely can happen even in a viable pregnancy. You would need to see your doctor to know for sure by ultrasound or repeat the pregnancy test, though hormone levels could be dropping without it being apparent right away. Because miscarriage in the first 10-12 weeks of pregnancy is very common, we know this is a very real possibility. Meanwhile, take it easy and let the doctor know what is happening so if you are miscarrying they can be sure you don't hemorrhage. Most of the time the woman's body takes care of it but in some cases intervention is needed with either medication or D&C if indeed you are losing the pregnancy.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here