News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Pain during/after sex - muscle tension?

rubyhobo - Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:05 pm

For the last 18 months I've been experiencing pain during and after sex. The pain is not a sharp one but more of an ache/soreness, almost as though I've been bruised. I can feel it all around the vulva and sometimes at the very top of my thighs.
The intensity and duration of the pain gets worse the longer the intercouse lasts and also if we have sex more than once within say 24 hours.
I have had the same boyfriend since I lost my virginity and for the first 2 years I had no pain whatsoever.

I have had various tests for infection etc, which have all come back clear. However lately I have noticed that I seem to be constantly tensing my pelvic floor muscles, not during sex but pretty much all the time. I'm not sure how long I have been doing this as it seems to be a pretty deep rooted habbit and every now and again I'll catch myself doing it and relax the muscles, only to realise I'm doing it again a few minutes later.

I just wondered if this is something that could be causing the pain in regards to sex?

Thanks
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:24 pm

User avatar Hello,
I'm glad your doctor has ruled out infections because this can be a cause of pain. Other possibilities include endometriosis, problems with the ovaries (like cysts), or fibroid tumors. I assume your doctor also examined you for such conditions.

Have you had any sexual trauma that might cause subconscious fear? If all physical causes are ruled out sometimes you can benefit from psychosocial medicine and sex therapy (by a certified therapist).

Of course, if you do not have adequate lubrication, especially when the encounter is prolonged, this can be remedied with lubricants such as Liquid Silk and Astroglide.

This is a very frustrating condition so do follow up with your doctor to be sure you have checked out all possible causes.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here