News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Why is it painful for me to have intercourse?

alexisonfire - Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:03 pm

I am a female, and I have been sexually active for about 3 years now, and it still is very painful and irritating for me to have intercourse. For some reason my body is not producing the natural lubrication that I know it should be producing. Not only is the initial penetration very painful and difficult, but it hurts when there is deep thrusting. It causes a very sharp pain in my pelvic area. Once, after intercourse, there was blood on the condom. Also, after intercourse, my labia minoras, both of them, become swollen, and I mean HUGE. It is very painful. It also hurts to pee after intercourse. Also, usually for a few days after, my whole vagina and surrounding area is very red, and dry, and itchy, especially around the vagina opening. Like I said, this usually goes away after a few days, I never thought it was normal, but I just lived with it. The last time I had intercourse, about a week ago, this all happened once again, but the itchiness, SEVERE dryness, and the redness, has not gone away. I've researched on the internet, and all of my symptoms just don't add up. I don't have any abnormal discharge and there is not a foul smell. I do have a painful menstrual cycle, but I always have had that. I have a history of UTI's, but I am not experiencing frequent urination, or painful urination; I don't think this has anything to do with my UTI's. What is wrong with me?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:03 am

User avatar Hello,
It is time for you to get a gynecological exam and discuss this with a doctor you are comfortable with. There are physical causes of pain such as endometriosis but you must have a check up to find out. You do need to use artificial lubrication and there are many varieties on the market so you can experiment until you find the right combination. There are also lubricated condoms but some people are allergic to latex so this should also be considered.

You can switch to natural skin or polyurethane condoms, though natural skin types are not as effective against STDs if this is a concern. They are good protection against pregnancy.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here