Question: Why is it painful for me to have intercourse?

alexisonfire - Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:03 pm

I am a female, and I have been sexually active for about 3 years now, and it still is very painful and irritating for me to have intercourse. For some reason my body is not producing the natural lubrication that I know it should be producing. Not only is the initial penetration very painful and difficult, but it hurts when there is deep thrusting. It causes a very sharp pain in my pelvic area. Once, after intercourse, there was blood on the condom. Also, after intercourse, my labia minoras, both of them, become swollen, and I mean HUGE. It is very painful. It also hurts to pee after intercourse. Also, usually for a few days after, my whole vagina and surrounding area is very red, and dry, and itchy, especially around the vagina opening. Like I said, this usually goes away after a few days, I never thought it was normal, but I just lived with it. The last time I had intercourse, about a week ago, this all happened once again, but the itchiness, SEVERE dryness, and the redness, has not gone away. I've researched on the internet, and all of my symptoms just don't add up. I don't have any abnormal discharge and there is not a foul smell. I do have a painful menstrual cycle, but I always have had that. I have a history of UTI's, but I am not experiencing frequent urination, or painful urination; I don't think this has anything to do with my UTI's. What is wrong with me?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:03 am

It is time for you to get a gynecological exam and discuss this with a doctor you are comfortable with. There are physical causes of pain such as endometriosis but you must have a check up to find out. You do need to use artificial lubrication and there are many varieties on the market so you can experiment until you find the right combination. There are also lubricated condoms but some people are allergic to latex so this should also be considered.

You can switch to natural skin or polyurethane condoms, though natural skin types are not as effective against STDs if this is a concern. They are good protection against pregnancy.

|