News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Vagina Ulcer?

Khrisie - Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:22 pm

Hey, about 2 months ago i noticed i had a painful burning sore in my vagina near the opening, so i went to my doctor, and she thought it was Herpes, so from there she took swab tests, and blood tests, and tested for every sti. Everything came back negative, and she said it was probably and ulcer..but yet she gave me herpes tablets..and it healed in a few days, but she said if it came back to go see her and they will take swab tests again...

however yesterday morning i noticed it has appeared again..but in a different spot, right near the pubic hair above the clitoris..i got a mirror and had a look..and it looks exactly the same as the last one i had..an ulcer. It burns alot..and im going to see my doctor tomorrow..but do you think i have anthing to worry about? i mean ive been tested for pretty much everything, and ive only ever been with my bf..and we always use protection.and he is clean as am i..i just cant stand getting these ulcers anymore, as they are soo painful and frustrating. What can i do to help the burning sensation ? Thanks.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:30 pm

User avatar Hello,
Not all ulcers are caused by sexually transmitted infection. In fact in about 25% of cases there is no identifiable lab diagnosis. Providers should treat patients before test results are available because early treatment decreases the possibility of ongoing transmission and because successful treatment of genital herpes depends on prompt treatment with antiviral medication. It doesn't hurt to treat while waiting results. It also makes sense to repeat a negative test to be sure it wasn't lab error.

You need to continue to follow up with your doctor to be sure all possible infectious causes are ruled out. It could also be a dermatologic cause such as an infected gland, follicle or cyst. If nothing is found, treating symptoms may be all that can be done. This could include warm or cold compresses, topical steroids and anti-inflammatory meds for pain.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here