Question: Vagina Ulcer?

Khrisie - Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:22 pm

Hey, about 2 months ago i noticed i had a painful burning sore in my vagina near the opening, so i went to my doctor, and she thought it was Herpes, so from there she took swab tests, and blood tests, and tested for every sti. Everything came back negative, and she said it was probably and ulcer..but yet she gave me herpes tablets..and it healed in a few days, but she said if it came back to go see her and they will take swab tests again...

however yesterday morning i noticed it has appeared again..but in a different spot, right near the pubic hair above the clitoris..i got a mirror and had a look..and it looks exactly the same as the last one i had..an ulcer. It burns alot..and im going to see my doctor tomorrow..but do you think i have anthing to worry about? i mean ive been tested for pretty much everything, and ive only ever been with my bf..and we always use protection.and he is clean as am i..i just cant stand getting these ulcers anymore, as they are soo painful and frustrating. What can i do to help the burning sensation ? Thanks.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:30 pm

Not all ulcers are caused by sexually transmitted infection. In fact in about 25% of cases there is no identifiable lab diagnosis. Providers should treat patients before test results are available because early treatment decreases the possibility of ongoing transmission and because successful treatment of genital herpes depends on prompt treatment with antiviral medication. It doesn't hurt to treat while waiting results. It also makes sense to repeat a negative test to be sure it wasn't lab error.

You need to continue to follow up with your doctor to be sure all possible infectious causes are ruled out. It could also be a dermatologic cause such as an infected gland, follicle or cyst. If nothing is found, treating symptoms may be all that can be done. This could include warm or cold compresses, topical steroids and anti-inflammatory meds for pain.

|