Question: Removal of tubal sterilization and pragenancy

tishy - Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:12 am

I have two kids one is 7 1/2 and the other is 6 years old. During my first pregnancy, the blood pressure was high, from the third month of pregnancy and gave birth to a girl child after about 7 and half months of gestation (premature baby weighed 950 grams and now she is 7 1/2 years old of good health and IQ. Doctor told me that this was happed due to Antiphospolid Antibody Syndrome. My second one was a boy child (normal baby). During the second pregnancy, I was consuming aspirin and took heparan injection in the beginning stages. After that I did tubal sterilization. (Both the children were born through cesarean section). Now I wanted to have another child. How this is possible? Is there any risk in removal of this tubal sterilization? Is this a big surgery? Is there any health risk? Please advice me.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:53 am

The reason they tell you that tubal ligation for female sterilization should be considered permanent and the decision not made lightly is because it is a complicated and expensive procedure without perfect success.

Cost will vary with the provider but typical in the U.S. is $10,000 to 15,000, though I have heard of some where the cost is closer to $6,000 so you have to shop around. Because it is much more difficult and takes longer to undo the procedure than it is to do it in the first place, anesthesia costs must be considered and a one or two day stay in the hospital with activity restriction for a few weeks afterward.

How successful it is depends on several factors, including how the original sterilization was performed. If at least 4 centimeters of healthy tube is present pregnancy rates of 60 - 85% are not uncommon following the reversal procedure. This can be determined by the doctor reading the operative report from the time of the tubal ligation surgery. If your procedure involved burning to close the tubes, success may be decreased.

Another factor to consider is the surgeon performing the procedure. It is done with microsurgery so someone skilled and experienced in this technique will have a better response than a less experienced surgeon.

If you only desire one more pregnancy, in vitro fertilization might be a better option for you and cost will still be high, but it may actually be less if you consider lost wages due to recovery time following reversal surgery. Again, there is no guarantee of pregnancy but results are quite good now and your chances might be better, depending on the other factors involved.

You would need to see a reproductive fertility specialist for an accurate idea of your situation.

|