Question: My rubella test is positive

shi_81 - Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:24 am

I am 28 yr old. In april'09 my 10 weeks pregnancy was terminated as I was rubella +ve. I was vaccinated(RVAC) against rubella on 30/may/09. On 22/10/09, I was tested for TORCH and again I am rubella +ve. I was also vaccinated against measles when I was 1 yr old. My test report is as follows :

Rubella IgM Antibody 2.150 Index (< 0.800)
Rubella IgG Antibody 35.00 IU/mL (< 7.00)

Can I can conceive. whats the treatment for rublla. Please tell me why I am rublla +ve inspite of taking vaccine.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:51 pm

There is a small percentage of people who do not develop immunity even after vaccination. In those cases we must rely on "herd immunity" which means that because most of the population is immune through vaccine or history of disease, those who are unable to make the antibodies are protected by not being exposed. If you live in a place where there is a high population of people who do not get immunizations, you should be careful when you are pregnant to avoid exposure since Rubella can cause serious birth defects if the mother develops the disease during pregnancy. It is a mild form of measles in most people but because of the risk to pregnant women, it is very important to have as much of the population as possible protected against this disease.

Because of widespread vaccination, rubella is now considered a rare disease with only around 260 case in a year in the U.S. This makes you very low risk.

Not having immunity does not put your baby at risk if you become pregnant. It is only if you are exposed and get the disease because you do not have that protection. You should be just fine to conceive; just be aware of the very slight risk. If you live in an area where vaccine is common and they aren't having outbreaks, it is very unlikely you will encounter problems with this. Some women choose to not be vaccinated at all and they do fine throughout their childbearing years. Again, it is only at times of outbreak we would be concerned.

|