News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Rubella positive with high avidity

shi_81 - Tue May 25, 2010 5:57 am

am 28 yrs old and 8 weeks pregnant. and I am rubella positive with high avidity.

Rubella IGG : 150.95
RUBGELLA IGM : 1.79
RUBELLA AVIDITY : 90%

Is it safe to carry the pregnancy.
It is my second pregnancy. First one was aborted because of rubella itself (last year april'09). after that I was vaccinated (RVAC) in may'09.

My gynea said as avidity is high rubella will have neglligible effect but we are still very confused. Please help us out.

Your early advice will be of great help for us.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:57 pm

User avatar Hello,
As time goes by following rubella infection, avidity increases. Along with a low IGG (<10IU/mL), reinfection might be possible but if IGG is high, it would indicate immunity to the disease. Yours is >150 (I assume IU/mL) so I think you are at low risk for any fetal consequence. The levels are showing immunity; not infection. Had you been immunized prior to becoming infected? In other words, did your immunization fail you or had you never had the vaccine before? Some people are not able to develop immunity but if I am understanding these values correctly it does not appear to be the case.

It never hurts to ask your doctor to further explain the meaning of the labwork.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here