Question: Spotting with birth control and effects of diarrhea

ab529 - Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:42 pm

I'm 19 years old and started having sex about six months ago. I've been on the pill for over 3 years (started using it to regulate my period) and have never experienced any sort of spotting in between periods. I'm very careful about taking my pill at the same time every day and am almost never off by more than twenty minutes or so; the longest I have been off by recently is less than one hour. My boyfriend and I also use a condom every time we have sex and can't recall one ever breaking.
Earlier this week I started experiencing pretty severe diarrhea, which lasted three or four days. The last time I had sex was two days before the diarrhea began. Yesterday I noticed a very small amount of blood from my vagina, which worried me because as I said I've never had this problem in between periods on the pill and I'm not due to get my period for another week. Is it possible that the diarrhea caused a pill or two to pass through without being absorbed, causing the spotting? (Some food passed through undigested, so I don't think this is out of the question.) Or should I be worried that this was implantation bleeding (or something similar) and that I could be pregnant?
Thank you so much!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:44 pm

I do not think you are pregnant. Condoms alone are excellent birth control when used every time and taking the pill besides is double protection. It would be almost a miracle for you to conceive considering these two methods of contraception. Spotting however is normal, even if you have never had it before. Almost all women have it from time to time. Diarrhea is of course unrelated and should not cause you to worry about this. Hopefully it will pass on its own but if not you should find out the cause but pregnancy is probably not a factor here.

Also, being off by an hour or two on the pill certainly is not cause for concern. You are doing a great job of practicing safer sex. Congratulations.

|