Question: 40weeks & 2days pregnant! What should i do!?

mommy2bee - Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:45 pm

I am 40 weeks and two days pregnant. ive been constantly having back pains. I keep getting contractions but they seem to go away once they get really bad. I went to my drs on thursday and i was 2-3cm dialated and my cervix is open. What should i do, i cant take this no more!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:34 am

I know it is very frustrating and uncomfortable but it is considered normal for you to pass your estimated due date by as long as two weeks. If the baby can arrive naturally and you can be patient for it, your risk will be decreased and your baby will have a good chance at being born healthy. Take it one day at a time, monitor your baby's activity and try to get the rest you need so you will be prepared for the work of labor. Some things just should not be rushed. Your doctor may request that you get a non-stress test if you don't go into labor soon. But if the baby looks healthy, leaving him/her there until ready is the best thing for you both. In most cases by 42 weeks, the doctor will induce labor. I suspect you will go into labor spontaneously before then.

It may seem like a very long time right now, but actually another week is a very short time to have to wait. Try to focus on something besides the baby and labor. Do some reading you would enjoy, watch some movies, take daily walks.

Good luck with the labor and delivery once it starts in earnest.

|