News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: 40weeks & 2days pregnant! What should i do!?

mommy2bee - Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:45 pm

I am 40 weeks and two days pregnant. ive been constantly having back pains. I keep getting contractions but they seem to go away once they get really bad. I went to my drs on thursday and i was 2-3cm dialated and my cervix is open. What should i do, i cant take this no more!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:34 am

User avatar Hello,
I know it is very frustrating and uncomfortable but it is considered normal for you to pass your estimated due date by as long as two weeks. If the baby can arrive naturally and you can be patient for it, your risk will be decreased and your baby will have a good chance at being born healthy. Take it one day at a time, monitor your baby's activity and try to get the rest you need so you will be prepared for the work of labor. Some things just should not be rushed. Your doctor may request that you get a non-stress test if you don't go into labor soon. But if the baby looks healthy, leaving him/her there until ready is the best thing for you both. In most cases by 42 weeks, the doctor will induce labor. I suspect you will go into labor spontaneously before then.

It may seem like a very long time right now, but actually another week is a very short time to have to wait. Try to focus on something besides the baby and labor. Do some reading you would enjoy, watch some movies, take daily walks.

Good luck with the labor and delivery once it starts in earnest.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here