Question: 39 weeks pregnant, Early labor?

Ash42590 - Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:21 pm

I'm almost 39 weeks pregnant and not completely sure if i've lost my mucus plug yet or not but i have been feeling crampy the past couple days and my lower abdominal area feels very heavy when i get up to walk around or stand. My feet have been a bit more swollen than usual the past 2 days. I was only 1 cm dilated a week ago at the dr's. I am still able to walk and everything right now just alot more uncomfortable than usual. Could i be getting into early labor now? How will i know when labor is really here?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:23 am

You could be having some early labor and the baby may be settling lower into the pelvis, resulting in that heaviness you feel. It is nice when your body can do some of the work while you are still able to go about your normal activities. There are some women who do not really feel contractions but this is definitely the rare exception. For most women you will get stronger and stronger contractions that are significant and you won't miss it. As the contractions get closer and more intense with a pretty good regularity you will be in active labor. Then your cervix will dilate even if you don't notice a loss of the mucus plug.

In some cases your water could break first. In most cases labor begins soon thereafter but some women need a little help getting things going so if you should experience this spontaneous rupture of membranes you should go to the hospital or at least call your doctor to get further instructions.

Good luck with your delivery. I do hope you plan to breastfeed your baby as much as possible. Get help from nurses, lactation specialists or family volunteers if necessary. It is worth it.

|