News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: How can i help period flow get lighter?

rachelm32147 - Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:16 pm

Im 18 ive always had a heavy period with some small clots, it lasts 6 days, and my cycle is about every 32 days give or take. How can i help it get lighter or stop the small clots?

I've tried multivitamins, healthy eating, exercise, relaxing...im not anemic i got checked for it a while back when donating blood.

Thanks in advance, any advice would be great!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:13 am

User avatar Hello,
There is really nothing you can do. This is normal. Some women have lighter periods but it is within the normal range to have a heavier flow and clots just mean you have some blood that pooled in the uterus before being expelled. All this is normal. Some women take oral contraceptives which often results in lighter periods. This is one possibility so you can talk to your doctor about this if the heavy menstrual flow interferes with your activities. But, hormonal birth control is not without its own side effects so be sure you weigh all the risks and benefits.

Remember every woman is unique and her period is too. You really can't compare yourself to others.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here