News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Toxic Shock Syndrome- from a diaphragm?

buffoon669 - Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:48 am

I just realized that I left my diaphragm in for 72 hours. I experienced a slight headache, slightly bloodshot eyes, and I was a little faint over the past day and a half. My blood pressure never dipped and I didn't experience any of the more severe syndromes of toxic shock. I have removed the diaphragm. Am I in the clear, or should I go to the doctor immediately?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:43 pm

User avatar Hello,
It is possible but rare to get toxic shock from a diaphragm. Of course anything that can transfer bacteria inside your body can be a means for this infection, caused by staph or strep bacteria. If this were the case, you would have symptoms such as fever, chills, nausea, vomiting, sunburn-type rash, etc. If you have such infection your symptoms will probably worsen and in that case you should see a doctor. You could have a mild infection but in the case of TSS you will experience low blood pressure and other symptoms. If your symptoms persist or worsen, call your doctor right away.

There is a certain amount of luck involved. Only if the diaphragm actually contained one of the bacteria could it even be able to cause TSS. And, in many infections, your body is able to fight it off before it becomes so serious. We don't know exactly why a few women get this and many others with similar activities do not.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here