Question: Boyfriend has Genital Warts

CuriousK - Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:30 pm

My boyfriend has been recently told that he has been diagonosed with Genital Warts. I am well informed about the virus. I have a couple of questions that I need to be answered in order to know what precautions i should take. I have also been treated with the second dose of the Gardisil vaccine and I took my Pap-smere test 2 months ago and the results appeared negative. I really Love my boyfriend but i am worried about his condition, and now of our sexual relationship
Below are the questions, Please respond in the up most time. Thank you.
1. Can I still perform Oral sex with out being infected with the virus? do you advice not to?
2. I know that with a low immune system the visibility of warts can show or even grow bigger. What advice do you recommended to treat the warts or reduce the visibility.
3. When we decide to have babies will I be infected with still having the vaccine?
4. Can i still be infected with the use of condoms and with already being injected with the second Gardisil
5.ANd finally I need to know everything will be ok.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:04 pm

This vaccine has been shown to be safe and 100% effective in preventing infection with the four most common HPV types (6, 11, 16, and 18) in women who have had no previous exposure to the virus. Based on this information you should be protected if you had not had infection prior to getting the complete vaccine series. You could still be protected if infected but to a lesser degree.

Condoms used properly are a pretty good protection so if you used these in the past before the vaccine, you are likely OK.

This should not prevent you from having babies.

The warts should not be picked at or bothered.

Eating a healthy diet, exercise and decreased stress can all help protect your immune system. Some supplements may also help but I don't have data to support this.

I can't give you 100% guarantee that everything will be OK but it looks like you have done what you can in getting immunized. The stats on the vaccine look very promising for protecting you. However, maintaining a monogamous, committed relationship is always a good idea from a sexual health standpoint.

If you want added protection, use a barrier method such as a condom. It needs to be a personal decision.

Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:49 am

User avatar Hello,Garadasil while effective in types that cause 90% of genital warts yet would not protect in all types.Thus while most of risk is eliminated yet leaves with an odd chance of contracting.Again while condoms do offer protection yet would not be foolproof.Also certain of these types can cause RRP RecurrentRespiratoryPapillomatosis.
The plus points here is that in most people the virus gets eliminated by body resistence and immunity.Also there is no cure as yet for the virus but the warts could be treated.One could still pass on the virus even after the wart is treated and apparently cured.Partners who are to gether are likely to share HPV but may not manifest it.
Debbie Miller RN has clearly spelt out the precautions needed.Otherwise there is nothing to worry since you have taken right decisions.

|