News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Can I be pregnant after getting tubes tied?

Chinababy - Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:32 am

I started feeling sick about 2 weeks ago. First I had a toothache that lasted for a week and a half. My period came on on the 14th (as scheduled). This month it was abnormal. It usually stays on for 7 days and 4 out of the 7 are heavy days with clotting. This month it stayed on 5 days with bright red spotting for the entire 5 days and I passed 3 clots. The blood was very bright red in color. I only had to wear 3 pads considering I usually wear 15 to 20 during the entire time my period is on. I called my doctor and told her what I was experiencing and she told me to take a home pregnancy test. It was negative. I went to the doctor the next day because I was in a lot of pain; lower back pain and a little abdominal pain. The pregnancy test she gave me was negative and the blood test was negative also. She said I was severly anemic and needed to go to urgent care. I have not yet gone. I'm trying to eat some foods high in iron. I had my tubes tied in 2004 and I do have some fibriod tumors, but they are small. I just developed them after I got my tubes tied. I'm still experiencing extreme lower back pain and some abdominal pain. My shoulder starting hurting yesterday. I'm blotted and feel pregnant. Everytime I try to hold my stomach in my back hurts. I have 4 living children and it feels like I'm pregnant. I'm very weak, headaches, and have pain in my upper thigh area. The back pain is what is worrying me. I also have frequent urination and pressure in the lower part of my abdominal area. Please give me some suggestions?!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:50 pm

User avatar Hello,
You need to determine the cause of your anema and get treatment. Eating iron-rich foods is good and supplementing with iron tablets can help if it is iron-deficiency anemia but it can take several months to reverse this and if you have a source of excessive bleeding this will not improve.

It is always good to rule out pregnancy but after this long, it would be unusual to become pregnant following the tubal ligation. Most failures occur within the first year when the ends somehow grow back together. I would not be alarmed about the irregular nature of your periods. This can be quite normal to have fluctuation but anemia should be investigated.

A general physical exam should be performed to determine the cause of the pain, see if the fibroids have grown larger and discover any other underlying problem, thyroid or other endocrine disorder, etc..

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here