Question: I chewed nicotine gum while pregnant, am now 37 weeks

Clarity101 - Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:25 pm

I am 37 weeks pregnant and worried. I chewed nicotine gum through most of the pregnancy thinking it was safe. During my last pregnancy I chewed very little and told my doctor and she made it seem like no big deal. Because of her response I chewed more this time, for probably a good 32 weeks of the pregnancy, and am now reading the internet and am so scared. Please tell me what the chances I hurt my baby are, and how I may have hurt her. I have not chewed any in the past month, and will not chew again from here on out. Please help. Thank you.

PS—Please don't lecture me. As dumb and ignorant as it may sound, it was an honest mistake based on my last dr's reaction. Trust me, I have beat myself up plenty. Also, I would say at the high-end I had 20 mg/day, low-end about 8 mg/day.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:30 pm

The nicotine in the gum is usually less than smoking so it is preferable if you were to do one or the other. We don't know how much or which babies will be affected by nicotine and often it can affect the baby's growth. This is not always the case. I'm glad to know you have quit now and the chances are good there will be no problems. Try not to worry about it since there is nothing to be done now. Just take your vitamins, eat right and do what you can to be safe from here on out. Quitting smoking is the best thing you can do for yourself and your baby so congratulate yourself on that and now quitting the gum will be additionally beneficial even at this point.

|