News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Scared of pregnancy after first time

wolfsg - Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:59 pm

I had sex on the 24th of last month. He used a condom and pulled out immediately after ejaculation. The problem is, it was my first time and I'm paranoid that I might be pregnant. I don't show signs of pregnancy as of right now. Unfortunately, my period has always been irregular, so skipping a month normally wouldn't surprise me. But now I'm scared that I might skip due to pregnancy. I've researched home pregnancy tests, but they recommend waiting until after your missed period, which is nearly impossible for me considering my irregularity. Any suggestions on what I can do? Please, anything would be helpful.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:29 pm

User avatar Hello,
The odds are good that you are not pregnant given the details you have supplied here. Stressing over the possibility can lead to missed periods too and it can be difficult to monitor. You can take a pregnancy test around 10 days after ovulation/conception so 10 to 14 days after this encounter on the 24th should give an accurate test and put you mind at rest.

Condoms are very reliable as birth control when used correctly, assuming they don't break so if you use these you should be able to feel quite confident that it will prevent pregnancy. There is also the very slight risk but it is not high.

Best wishes.
 wolfsg - Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:07 pm

Thank you so much for your help :). Period came today, so we're in the clear. I'll be sure to remember your advice for future reference. Thanks again and God bless! :D

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here