Question: Scared of pregnancy after first time

wolfsg - Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:59 pm

I had sex on the 24th of last month. He used a condom and pulled out immediately after ejaculation. The problem is, it was my first time and I'm paranoid that I might be pregnant. I don't show signs of pregnancy as of right now. Unfortunately, my period has always been irregular, so skipping a month normally wouldn't surprise me. But now I'm scared that I might skip due to pregnancy. I've researched home pregnancy tests, but they recommend waiting until after your missed period, which is nearly impossible for me considering my irregularity. Any suggestions on what I can do? Please, anything would be helpful.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:29 pm

The odds are good that you are not pregnant given the details you have supplied here. Stressing over the possibility can lead to missed periods too and it can be difficult to monitor. You can take a pregnancy test around 10 days after ovulation/conception so 10 to 14 days after this encounter on the 24th should give an accurate test and put you mind at rest.

Condoms are very reliable as birth control when used correctly, assuming they don't break so if you use these you should be able to feel quite confident that it will prevent pregnancy. There is also the very slight risk but it is not high.

wolfsg - Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:07 pm

Thank you so much for your help :). Period came today, so we're in the clear. I'll be sure to remember your advice for future reference. Thanks again and God bless! :D

|