Question: Do the marks from Milk Ducts go away? Ever? (2) and 2 other

KLove4ever6 - Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:09 am

Hello, my name is Kelly from Colorado. I just recently gave birth to my son Kyle on the 4th of July- what are the odds? Seriously! I think the fireworks scared him out haha! So, I have 3 small simple questions, but let me explain why I ask, or just go to them they have bracketed numbers marking them. (0) etc.

Anyway it was very unexpected, we barely had time to get my mother in law a trained former registered nurse and midwife, mother of 2. The pregnancy was at home naturally, by the time the paramedics got up to us on the mount he was out. It hurt so bad but it the most wonderful experience of my life.

So now I am lactating and doing it a little too successfully in my opinion. There is just too much and they are swollen beyond belief and hurt. (1) Is there any home method like ice or warm/hot water-bottle or can I soak them and will that "decrease" a little of the swelling or relieve a little of the soreness? Veins are popping out in them too, they look unattractive, I'm kind of sad. (2) But also, the marks from the ducts where the milk is coming out, will those hole marks ever go away? Or are they there to stay forever?
And finally (3) I have a very long line that runs up the middle of my belly, what is that? Why do I have one, and other women don't? Why only some, why me? thats going to go away too right?

Thank you very much, and bless you.
Kelly, Keith and Kyle.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:36 pm

Congratulations on the birth of your son.

All the symptoms you describe are very normal and most will eventually go away. Try to be patient.

As for the sore breasts due to engorgement - you can use ice on your breasts following a feeding to help with the inflammation. It will not decrease your supply but as your baby continues to feed and the swelling goes down you will be more comfortable and will have the right amount of milk for your baby. It is truly amazing. You can also use chilled cabbage leaves (yes, right from the head of cabbage in your refrigerator). Just tuck these inside your bra and it helps relieve engorgement. You can also get some relief in a warm shower or by soaking the breasts in warm water (lean over a table with a basin of water).

Don't worry about the marks, veins and holes - these will most likely disappear in time. You are doing a wonderful thing by breastfeeding your baby and giving him the best nature can offer (and better than anything science can devise). Even if you had permanent marks, they would be for a wonderful purpose. Sometimes you get a few stretch marks but they fade in time as well.

|