Question: How to Take the Pill While Traveling Overseas

sdbrizy - Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:51 pm

I'm on Lutera for birth control and take it vigilantly at 7:00 pm every day. I will be traveling overseas next week to a time zone that is 8 hours ahead, and to stay on my usual schedule, I would have to wake up each day at 3:00 am to take my pill! Is there another way to do this without altering the effectiveness of the pill? Can I take it 5 hours late each day at 8:00 am London time and still be ok? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:33 pm

A one time adjustment to a later hour should not be a serious concern. You should be able to adapt your pill taking schedule to a more convenient time. I would not expect a problem with one five hour delay in the course of the month, then followed by a regular schedule at the new time. Very few people manage to stay on a very strict schedule for pills, though ideally you would take them at the same time each day. It is commendable that you are so vigilant about this. If you are worried you could take two pills, as is advised if you miss one day's pill - take two the next day when you remember. This might give you the extra confidence.

Enjoy your trip.

|