News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: How to Take the Pill While Traveling Overseas

sdbrizy - Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:51 pm

I'm on Lutera for birth control and take it vigilantly at 7:00 pm every day. I will be traveling overseas next week to a time zone that is 8 hours ahead, and to stay on my usual schedule, I would have to wake up each day at 3:00 am to take my pill! Is there another way to do this without altering the effectiveness of the pill? Can I take it 5 hours late each day at 8:00 am London time and still be ok? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:33 pm

User avatar Hello,
A one time adjustment to a later hour should not be a serious concern. You should be able to adapt your pill taking schedule to a more convenient time. I would not expect a problem with one five hour delay in the course of the month, then followed by a regular schedule at the new time. Very few people manage to stay on a very strict schedule for pills, though ideally you would take them at the same time each day. It is commendable that you are so vigilant about this. If you are worried you could take two pills, as is advised if you miss one day's pill - take two the next day when you remember. This might give you the extra confidence.

Enjoy your trip.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here