Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers
"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."
Forum Name: Obstetrics
|purplemist - Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:12 pm||
i found out i was pregnant on june 29th after a year of trying. my last period was may 24th but i had extremely irregular cycles when i got pregnant. ok so on the 29th my hcg level was 49. i had a test exactly one week later and it was 623. i had another one 2 days later and it was 633. four days later i went to the doctor where he told me there was a 50% chance the pregnancy was ectopic and scheduled me for another blood test and a vaginal and pelvic ultrasound. a few hours later he called me with the results and told me my hcg level was 760 there was nothing in my fallopion tubes and there was a sac in my uterus... and then he asked me when i wanted to come in to have it terminated!!!! something about that just sounds wrong. my instant gut feeling told me not to do that and i told i at least want another blood test first. now by my calculations of when I believe i concieved and the size of the sac i would be between 4-5 weeks and from i've read my hcg level isn't that bad from where it should be. what do you think about this? i have had no bleeding and only minor cramps that feel exactly the same as they were when i was pregnant with my daughter. i understant slow rising hcg levels arent a good sign but i've heard so many stories of women going through the same thing and had perfectly healthy pregnancies. in my opinion the doctor i have is a moron for wanting to terminate so soon. if you can give me your opinion i would greatly appriciate it. thanks!
|Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:15 pm||
In most cases if you do not have a developing embryo your body will eventually take care of it. Sometimes women are anxious to get it over with so they can get on with their next attempt to become pregnant or to just have closure to what is likely to be a poor outcome anyway. But, you are under no obligation to have this procedure and you can wait it out if you wish. Unless you had complications, severe bleeding, infection or something else that would make it important to have intervention, you are fine to let nature take its course.
|| Check a doctor's response to similar questions|
Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?
Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community
Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.
Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.