Question: My left breast areola when wrinkled turns a milky white

tink1560 - Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:52 pm

I hope this is the right place to ask this.

I have recently noticed that the areola on my left breast when it wrinkles due to my nipple becoming erect it turns this milky white color for about 20 seconds before the color changes back to a peachy pink color. It's almost as if something is cutting off the blood flow when it gets wrinkly and hard. My right breast is a normal dark pink color and does not do the same thing. I have also noticed that my areola is a bit puffier on the left breast as well as lighter in color than my right breast areola. The nipples are fine and are of a darkish color and there is no soreness or itchiness. I have searched like crazy to figure out what this is and can not come up with anything. I have recently gone for a breast exam and told the doctor about this and she is not too worried about it nor had she found any irregularities in my breasts. I am at a loss and if anyone has had this happen or knows what could be causing this, I would greatly appreciate an answer. I also believe I may be pregnant as well. Thanks so much!! :)
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:50 pm

Congratulations on the pregnancy. Rest assured that breast changes like this are quite normal, even when they don't occur on each breast equally. Almost all women have differently shaped and/or sized breasts and the blanching is nothing to be concerned with. Areola color will also change with pregnancy, breastfeeding and return to the non-lactating state later on. Don't worry about this. It's all normal.

Don't forget to take your daily multivitamins containing at least 400 mcg folate.

|