News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Post Paragard IUD removal.

Nikki424 - Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:05 pm

I have two children and after the birth of my second child I had Paragard placed. While it did prevent an unwanted pregnancy my experience with it was terrible ( severe bleeding and constant pain) . So after having it for 2 years, and deciding that we would like to have one more child I had it removed on July 13th. My gp had no trouble removing it and said that everything looked great. She did not however, lend much information in terms of return of fertility. She appeared very rushed, just removed it, said things looked good and that was the end of the appointment. I began charting my cycles (bbt, opk's etc) aprox 2 months ago to get an idea of my regular pattern. According to my bbt and opk results I had a strong LH surge the day before my iud removal ( lmp was 6/25/10). My question is when/what is the typical return of fertility time frame in normal cases with paragard use. Now I know that the chances are not likely but having dedected ovulation the day prior to removal ( and with intercourse occuring on all of my projected fertile days ( 7/11-7/15) what is the likelyhood of conception? Also should conception occur, what are the risks associated being that the iud was so recently removed. Thank you for any information.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:05 pm

User avatar Hello,
Fertility is usually restored immediately on removal of the IUD so your chances of conceiving now are just as good as they ever were and there should be no addition risk with a pregnancy that occurs right away.

Chances are good that with regular unprotected sex you will conceive within the year. Even tracking your ovulation does not mean everything will work out exactly when you hope it will. There's a certain amount of luck involved in getting the sperm to the egg, penetrating it, and having the embryo implant into the uterus and develop properly. Good luck in your efforts.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here