Question: Post Paragard IUD removal.

Nikki424 - Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:05 pm

I have two children and after the birth of my second child I had Paragard placed. While it did prevent an unwanted pregnancy my experience with it was terrible ( severe bleeding and constant pain) . So after having it for 2 years, and deciding that we would like to have one more child I had it removed on July 13th. My gp had no trouble removing it and said that everything looked great. She did not however, lend much information in terms of return of fertility. She appeared very rushed, just removed it, said things looked good and that was the end of the appointment. I began charting my cycles (bbt, opk's etc) aprox 2 months ago to get an idea of my regular pattern. According to my bbt and opk results I had a strong LH surge the day before my iud removal ( lmp was 6/25/10). My question is when/what is the typical return of fertility time frame in normal cases with paragard use. Now I know that the chances are not likely but having dedected ovulation the day prior to removal ( and with intercourse occuring on all of my projected fertile days ( 7/11-7/15) what is the likelyhood of conception? Also should conception occur, what are the risks associated being that the iud was so recently removed. Thank you for any information.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:05 pm

Fertility is usually restored immediately on removal of the IUD so your chances of conceiving now are just as good as they ever were and there should be no addition risk with a pregnancy that occurs right away.

Chances are good that with regular unprotected sex you will conceive within the year. Even tracking your ovulation does not mean everything will work out exactly when you hope it will. There's a certain amount of luck involved in getting the sperm to the egg, penetrating it, and having the embryo implant into the uterus and develop properly. Good luck in your efforts.

|