Question: uterine fibriods growing back?

dnn0318 - Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:26 pm

I am 23 years old and in february had a myomectomy(removal of uterine fibroids). My doctor told me that the chance of the tumors occuring again was really high becuase i am so young. he quoted me about 5-6 years. this has put a lot of stress on me to have kids because i do not want to have this procedure done again. my question is, was my doctors quote accurate? i am currently not taking any medications including birth control as he told me that the hormones will speed up the process of tumor growth. thank you so much and i hope to hear from you soon.
-worried
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:06 pm

The risk is actually quite low if the surgeon did a good job removing all the fibroids. In a person who had multiple fibroids removed the chances are about 26% that they may develop more within 10 years. It is believed that in many cases, the small fibroids may have been missed with the original myomectomy and so aren't truly a recurrence.

One study found that childbirth decreased new fibroids (after myomectomy). After 10-years, new fibroids were found in 16% of women who had given birth after surgery, but were found in 28% of women who had not given birth. So, this should not interfere with your plans to have children and you should not feel pressure.

Of course various sources often contain different stats, but this is my understanding.

|