News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: pregnant after a tubal? maybe ectopic?

iluvtyloo - Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:05 pm

i am 27 years old and since 12 i have always experienced abnormal cycles. in my teenage years, i was on birth control to regulate my cycles, but was taken off due to a lot of pain while taking them. at 18 i got pregnant with my first chilld. my huband and i wanted to have another child, about 2 years apart from our first. so we started trying to conceive. i had periods for 6 months on and 6 months off twice and still irregular in between the other years. after years of nothing and several procedures, including a D and C and polypectomy, we were still unable to concieve. my doctor then recommended clomid, which after careful consideration and another year, we decided to give it a try. after my first month of taking it, i got a positive result. but within that week, i started spotting, so my doctor fearing i was having an ectopic pregnancy preformed an internal ultrasound. at six weeks we found out i was not having an ectopic pregnancy but rather a multiple pregnancy, i was having triplets. they were born in january of 2008, and during my c-section i had a tubal ligation. for the first 5 months, my cylce was normal. but in june it went back to irregular. my doctor says as long as i have one atleast every 3 months i am okay and usually i do. but now, it has been close to 4 months since my last cycle. i spot occasionally, but only enough to notice when i wipe. sometimes it is dark and others it is bright. i have taken several pregnancy tests that have all came back negative. but i am noticing other things that have me worried along with the lack of my period (aside from the spotting) such as weight gain, and feeling like i am starving all the time, severe fatigue, stomach tenderness and cramping, and migraines. i am worried i could be pregnant, and thought since i am spotting it could be ectopic, but would i get a negative result because of that? can you even have an ectopic pregnancy after a tubal ligation? what does this sound like to you? my doctor doesn't seem to show the same concern that i do.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:53 pm

User avatar Hello,
Having an ectopic following a tubal ligation is possible but not likely. When the tubes "grow back together" (unusual event) it usually happens at the very beginning and any pregnancy happens fairly soon as well, but not always. It depends a lot on the procedure used. If a portion of the tube is removed, it is less likely the ends can find themselves again. They also use cauterization so the results are usually permanent.

If you were to have an ectopic pregnancy you should have a positive test.

It is not critical that you have periods if you aren't trying to conceive so I would not be alarmed about a four month interval. It sounds like you do not ovulate regularly so it is understandable you would not have periods regularly. I would not worry too much but if your symptoms persist, you should have it checked. There are concerns with thyroid as well as other hormones or physical problems.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here