Question: Calculating ovulation and former miscarriage

jenyss - Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:15 pm

Hello - my husband and I have been trying to conceive for 3 months. Last month, I was 4 days late , my period was due June 19 and came June 23. I have a typical 30 day cycle. I ovulated around June 9 ( according to opk ) I started a new month of opk but started testing July 14 according to this new 34 day cycle. It never showed positive. I had a suspicion that I was pregnant on July 18 ( My breasts were very sore, and period not due til the 24 or 28?) so I took a pregancy test and a faint positive showed up. Since, I have taken several tests including a digital and all have been clarly positive. My question, is there any way to tell when I conceived? I am trying ot figure out which week I am in. When my period was late, should I have caluclated possible ovulation from when I was supposed to get myperiod? Also, I had a miscarriage in January. I have changed doctors and made my first prenatal appt for August 20. I did not mention the miscarriage. Should I call them to see if I should come in sooner? Thank you.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:54 pm

Most doctors want to see you sometime between week 10 and week 13. This usually puts you past the highest risk time for miscarriage, which, if it occurred they would not be able to stop anyway. Knowing you had miscarried before would not usually change the doctor's exam date unless you had miscarried repeatedly and there was serious concern that it might happen again. Most miscarriages are one-time events and don't indicate future problems.

When dates are unclear based on periods, a viability ultrasound is often performed to determine weeks of gestation and these are usually quite accurate. Anything sooner is really unnecessary because it makes no difference anyway. You should eat well, exercise, take a daily multiple vitamin and stop any bad habits such as smoking or alcohol consumption. I realize it is fun to feel like you know exactly but most women don't know precisely when they ovulated or conceived naturally anyway and the estimated due date is within two weeks time frame because of the variability of a woman's cycle.

In the meantime you might estimate your due date based on the LMP of around June 23 with an EDD of March 30 until shown differently by ultrasound exam. Either way the chances are the baby will arrive within two weeks either side of this date.

Good luck in your pregnancy.

|