Question: no fetal movement

humming - Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:01 pm

been four days with no movement and i went to the doctor an they did a nst test and want me to come in twice a week but this is not the first time tis happen with my last child they delived right away what should i do im worried an i think i need to go to a new hospital what do you think
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:44 pm

You did not indicate how far along you are in your pregnancy but if you are in the third trimester, activity should be quite consistent and it's a good idea to do kick counts. Every day around the same time, notice the number of times your baby moves and count until you reach ten movements. This should occur within an hour or two. If not, try drinking something like cold juice. Often that sugar will get the baby going and reassure you. If you don't get this you should see the doctor right away or go into the L & D unit at the hospital. I assume the tests your doctor does are non-stress tests and this is a good indicator that things are OK, sometimes done weekly or twice weekly if there are concerns about the baby's well-being.

I also noticed you are a smoker. You should definitely quit now. This is a high risk activity for you and your baby. I know it is difficult but often a mother is more motivated for her child's sake so it is an excellent time to stop. Ask your doctor for help or call a quit helpline.

|