Question: different Norethisterone drugs for low progesterone

scratchy907 - Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:37 pm

I used to live in the UK and was prescribed Norethisterone 5mg for low progesterone which worked great. I now live in California and was recently prescribed Camila 35mg for the same condition. I was wondering what is the difference between the two drugs and why does the second dose appear to be so much higher?

Thanks,
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:30 pm

Are you certain the dosage is 35 mg and not 0.35 mg. (the common dosage)?

I'm not certain why the differing levels but sometimes it takes trial and error to find the right amount of hormone and amounts vary with the different oral contraceptives. The formula commonly available in a country depending on the manufacturers may explain this variation but I can't say for sure.

I would recommend you discuss the levels with your prescribing physician for clarification, especially if it is not working well for you.

|