Question: Could my ovary be dead?

tannedon - Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:42 am

Hi
Had a hysterectomy in Jan. of this year. Due to some surgical complications I had to have emergency surgery about a week later to repair a colon tear. At that time one of my ovaries was removed along with some of the repairs my gyno had done and also my cervix and part of my vagina. They were able to leave one ovary. My question is this, I have been experiencing frequent and intense hot flashes post surgery that I would have think would have stopped by now (6 months out). Is it possible that my remaining ovary could have been damaged by all the fecal matter that was in my abdominal cavity?
Thanks.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:33 pm

It is very unlikely you are experiencing this as a result of the colon problem, but you are in the age range where your ovary would begin to shut down anyway and these symptoms are common in the perimenopause period. It is a gradual process and can occur for as much as 10 years prior to actual menopause. You should discuss your symptoms with your doctor if they are interfering with your quality of life. You may benefit from a short-term therapy with hormones if the hot flashes are keeping you awake, etc.

|