News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: ihave an IUD but think i got pregnant & miscarrying

mzg4mcg - Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:53 am

i have an IUD that has been great for about 3 years now. i had a normal period in late June then approx 2 weeks later started spotting/light bleeding which I thought was strange. than it became heavier like a regular period with some pretty nasty cramps & some very tiny clots. im still bleeding, the clots have gotten larger & im still experiencing cramping(not like before, but its definitely a noticeable difference from a normal period). I do have an appt to see a doctor, but its not until august 5th because i just moved & im seeing a new doctor. friends keep telling me i probably got pregnant, but wouldnt i have noticed a change of some sort if my IUD moved? and wouldnt i definitely notice if it came out??? i havent had anything like this happen in the 3 years ive had my IUD so i have no idea what to think. i did have a miscarriage 10 years ago & some of this seems similar, but its been so long im just not sure. not sure if its important but the clots are a very deep, dark, red color. any advice or thoughts on anything else i should look into. i hope i posted in the right place & gave enough info...its my first time on here. thanks in advance for any info i can get.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:19 pm

User avatar Hello,
It would be impossible to say if you had become pregnant and miscarried as many miscarriages occur before women even realize they are pregnant. However, it is not likely since the IUD is typically a very reliable method of birth control. It's not perfect, but the failure rate is very low.

Clotting is very normal in the fluid that the body cleans out with your period and just means some blood pooled for a period of time. Clotting is the normal process for such blood and will appear dark red, brown or black at times. It is nothing to be alarmed about.

Variations in periods happen to almost all women so I would not worry too much about this unless you have prolonged heavy bleeding - more than one or two cycles of such. This is because you could become anemic if you lose a lot of blood.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here