Question: On BC pill Necon, break through bleeding, possible pregnant?

jasqulyn - Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:39 am

I have been on Necon BC pill for about a year now. June 30 was the first day of my last menstrual period. Recently started feeling nausea, and dizziness to a point where I have stayed home from work. It lasts about an hour daily. Last week I had some mucus in my stool and diaherra which may have been from food poisoning or may not have been I don’t know. It lasted about four days. I have skipped my period this month due to travel plans but I am currently experiencing break through bleeding. Could the extended use of the Necon without a break be causing these symptoms? I have done this before with no issues. I have also taken a home pregnancy test with a negative result. It was a very inexpensive version. Should I re-test? Could I be pregnant or is this just Necon related? Thank you
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:53 pm

Breakthrough bleeding is fairly common. If it continues you may need a different birth control pill just because it is a nuisance to have to deal with regularly. If it is just a rare event, don't worry about it. If you have taken the pill daily it is a good method of birth control and you are not likely pregnant. Only rarely does one become pregnant while religiously taking the oral contraceptives.

Bleeding would not be typical in early pregnancy and is not usually an indicator, though some women notice a slight bleeding at implantation when they might have had a normal period. The other symptoms can be hormonal, even possibly caused by the pill but it is not a problem to skip a period by manipulating the pill on and off days, assuming you take them continuously rather than breaking for the withdrawal bleeding. It will not hurt you at all to do this. The inexpensive home pregnancy tests should be pretty much the same as the expensive ones so I would not feel the need to buy a certain brand. Some are a little more sensitive than others but if in doubt you can always repeat the test after a week.

|