Question: mercury and fetal toxicity

Grace55 - Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:37 pm

I am 5 weeks pregnant and ate fish(mahi mahi) for 4 days in a row. i am worried that the mercury levels in the fish can be toxic to my fetus. Please let me know what am i to think of this situation. Is my baby at any detrimental risk?
Thanks.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:31 am

This would not be a great concern. The very large fish are the ones most commonly associated with mercury - swordfish, tilefish, shark and king makerel. Mahi mahi is low on the risk chart and it is recommended that pregnant women eat fish that are low in mercury contamination because of the wonderful health benefits that come with fish. The recommendation is for 1 part per million (ppm) or less. Mahi mahi has 0.19 ppm. Twice weekly fish consumption is a good part of your pregnancy eating plan, but this is a rough guide, allowing for eating some even higher on the list. Based on that, four times would not be alarming. There really is no definite number that indicates the threshold where it could be too much. These are simply guidelines.

|