News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: When to start my birtch control?

xxIsabellaxx - Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:25 am

So, I am 17 and I got birth control today. My doctor told me to read the instructions to know when to take it. I know it says to take it on the first day of my period or the sunday after..but my mom and two of my friends are on the same one and they started taking them right away. My period ended last week..should i just wait or can I start it? Oh, its tri sprintec.

I don't wanna have to be adjusting the first week or so back to school...
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:28 pm

User avatar Hello,
Either way is fine. Many times starting on a Sunday works well just because it's easy to remember in case you forget when you take your pill-free week. It's not so important when you start as the fact that you take the pills regularly and follow the schedule that you will remember well. It is also OK to manipulate periods at times when it is inconvenient to bleed. Usually they recommend starting in connection with a period to be sure you are not already pregnant and having just finished a period usually assures you of that.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here