Question: When to start my birtch control?

xxIsabellaxx - Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:25 am

So, I am 17 and I got birth control today. My doctor told me to read the instructions to know when to take it. I know it says to take it on the first day of my period or the sunday after..but my mom and two of my friends are on the same one and they started taking them right away. My period ended last week..should i just wait or can I start it? Oh, its tri sprintec.

I don't wanna have to be adjusting the first week or so back to school...
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:28 pm

Either way is fine. Many times starting on a Sunday works well just because it's easy to remember in case you forget when you take your pill-free week. It's not so important when you start as the fact that you take the pills regularly and follow the schedule that you will remember well. It is also OK to manipulate periods at times when it is inconvenient to bleed. Usually they recommend starting in connection with a period to be sure you are not already pregnant and having just finished a period usually assures you of that.

|