News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: reduction in gestation age in 2 u/s - no foetal poles?

ssp - Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:10 pm

hi...my LMP was 12th june 2010. i had an u/s(abdominal) done on 04th aug which stated "regular well defined gestation sac and yolk sac, but no foetal pole detected- GA=6 weeks 2 days", but as per LMP, GA should be 7 weeks 3 days . the doctor adviced a TVS (trans vaginal u/s) which was done the next day -on 5th aug. it reported " gravid uterus with single well defined gestational sac and a tiny yolk sac visible, but foetal pole not visible+ strong decidual echoes seen around sac+ GA = 5weeks 6days" and was suggested for a repeat scan after 10 days".
i am very tense as i had lost my first baby immediately after delivery due to complications during natural labour last year-she got asphyxiated by the umblical cord during natural labour and did not survive beyond a few hours after delivery. i had carried that baby for full term without any problem.
please help me understand if it is normal for the GA to vary as it did with both my scans, and whether everything is normal. i am due to undergo an u/s (tvs) after 10 days.
please help !
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:24 pm

User avatar Hello,
I am so sorry about your loss. I too experienced a full-term stillbirth and it is very difficult. It does make you anxious in future pregnancies. Unfortunately, early miscarriage is quite common, occurring in at least 20% of all pregnancies. Your ultrasound does make it appear that you may be experiencing such a loss this time, but they repeat it in case you are actually just not as far along for everything to show up properly.

You should be prepared for the possibility that the baby did not develop and your body deals with this event naturally but sometimes there is a lag period. If things work out you can be pleasantly surprised.

The good news is that most women who experience miscarriage do go on to experience a healthy pregnancy so try to stay positive regardless of the outcome now.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here