Question: reduction in gestation age in 2 u/s - no foetal poles?

ssp - Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:10 pm

hi...my LMP was 12th june 2010. i had an u/s(abdominal) done on 04th aug which stated "regular well defined gestation sac and yolk sac, but no foetal pole detected- GA=6 weeks 2 days", but as per LMP, GA should be 7 weeks 3 days . the doctor adviced a TVS (trans vaginal u/s) which was done the next day -on 5th aug. it reported " gravid uterus with single well defined gestational sac and a tiny yolk sac visible, but foetal pole not visible+ strong decidual echoes seen around sac+ GA = 5weeks 6days" and was suggested for a repeat scan after 10 days".
i am very tense as i had lost my first baby immediately after delivery due to complications during natural labour last year-she got asphyxiated by the umblical cord during natural labour and did not survive beyond a few hours after delivery. i had carried that baby for full term without any problem.
please help me understand if it is normal for the GA to vary as it did with both my scans, and whether everything is normal. i am due to undergo an u/s (tvs) after 10 days.
please help !
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:24 pm

I am so sorry about your loss. I too experienced a full-term stillbirth and it is very difficult. It does make you anxious in future pregnancies. Unfortunately, early miscarriage is quite common, occurring in at least 20% of all pregnancies. Your ultrasound does make it appear that you may be experiencing such a loss this time, but they repeat it in case you are actually just not as far along for everything to show up properly.

You should be prepared for the possibility that the baby did not develop and your body deals with this event naturally but sometimes there is a lag period. If things work out you can be pleasantly surprised.

The good news is that most women who experience miscarriage do go on to experience a healthy pregnancy so try to stay positive regardless of the outcome now.

|