Question: Period 2 wks late, neg. preg. test, spotting

brekksmommy - Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:36 pm

My period is two weeks late and I have taken 4 pregnancy tests (starting 5 days before my expected period to most recently, yesterday). All were negative. This morning I found very light spotting. Very light. Usually when I get my period, it comes on strong accompanied with cramps. This was definitely different. No cramps at all. I am wondering if there is any chance that I am pregnant? I am a little worried that if I am pregnant, the spotting could be a sign of miscarriage. I went to my doctor for my yearly exam last week and he just said to keep waiting for my period. Any help is appreciated, Thanks!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:08 am

With the negative tests it is unlikely you are pregnant and often women skip periods or find their cycles change for other reasons besides pregnancy and this is very normal. About the only time you can have a predictable cycle is if you are on oral contraceptives but even then, periods can change due to lack of ovulation.

Also, spotting, if you were pregnant, may or may not result in miscarriage but there is nothing you can really do about it since most early miscarriages are caused by chromosomal problems. It is nature's way of taking care of things when the embryo is not developing properly. Because of this, there is usually no intervention that can help. Often a mother-to-be is advised to take it easy, just to give her body every chance to be healthy but if the baby is not to develop, nothing she does will change that.

Spotting is not a typical sign of pregnancy and only occurs in about 5% of pregnancies.

|