Question: Small bump on the perineum

cocopuff21 - Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:23 pm

Hi. I hope you could help me. I'm a single working mom. My job and my duties of taking care of my son by myself leaves me little time to go to the hospital... please help me.

I've noticed I get a small bump on the perineum area every after (or maybe even during) my period. It's not painful unless when I apply direct pressure, it doesn't have any pus, and it usually goes away 1 week after the end of my period. I only noticed it about 2 months ago. It concerns me now because I thought it wouldn't come back but it has every month. I gave birth (my first and only child) last 2008, I gave birth via NSD/ Normal delivery. And I've been breastfeeding ever since. Could this be caused by the cut/ stitching done to me after I gave birth? Or could this be hormonal? I hope you could help me... please...
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:57 am

The fact that this "bump" comes and goes leads me to believe it was not some kind of problem resulting from the delivery or episiotomy that was performed. Since it is cyclic, hormonal changes would seem very likely but I don't believe it is anything to be concerned about. I would just mention it to the doctor when you get your routine care since it isn't interfering with your life or health. It is wise to have regular pelvic exams and if you want an accurate diagnosis you would need to see the doctor at the time the eruption occurs.

Bartholin cysts are quite common in the perineum but I don't believe these typically disappear and appear with your cycle. These do not require treatment unless they become infected or interfere with your activities of daily living. Skin conditions such as infected follicles and glandular cysts are quite common but not harmful to your overall health.

|