Question: DAILY USE OF VICODIN THRU ENTIRE 6 MONTHS OF PREGNANCY SAFE

texassent - Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:20 pm

IM WORRIED ABOUT THE USE OF PAIN PILLS BY A GIRL I KNOW THAT HAS BEEN HIGHLY ADDICTED TO THE PILLS FOR YEARS NOW. SHE HASNT STOPPED OR SLOWED DOWN VERY MUCH MAYBE A LITTLE BUT IS STILL USING AT LEAST 5 A DAY THAT I KNOW OF. (10 MG) SHE WAS SNORTING THEM EVEN AT ONE POINT RECENTLY. sMOKES A PACK A CIGGERETTES A DAY AND DOESNT TAKE VITAMINS OR EAT RIGHT. SHE SAYS ITS OK TO TAKE THE PILLS BECAUSE DOCTORS WILL PRESCRIBE THEM WHILE PREGNANT SO SHE CONTINUES TO BUY THEM ON THE STREET DAILY. i CANT GET HER TO STOP. IS THIS SAFE? WHAT TO DO?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:32 am

Of course it is not safe. Pregnant women should never use street drugs of any kind and prescribed narcotics in pregnancy (usually not long-term) are for specific reasons and the risk and benefits are weighed in making the decision with the health care provider. Tobacco is a known problem for everyone and it can reduce the oxygen supply to the baby by constricting the cord vessels, sometimes causing intrauterine growth restriction and babies who are small in size (also a risk factor for other problems after birth). Aside from this, smoking in the home and/or will subject the child to secondary smoke - a known cause of cancer and asthma.

A pregnant woman who is addicted to a substance is not thinking clearly because the addiction rules her. She is not putting her baby's health first (or even her own). This is how powerful such addictions are.

There is little you can do about it if she is unwilling to take responsibility. She is clearly in denial and I'm sure she is not telling her doctor about her behavior. I feel sorry for the baby and understand your concern. How can an addicted woman be a good mother for her baby even after the delivery? If you see signs of neglect it would be your responsibility to report this to proper authorities for the baby who can't speak for himself.

|