News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Prolonged Bleeding After First Sexual Intercourse

PhantomPhan - Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:16 pm

I engaged in sexual intercourse for the first time on July 30. Since then, I have been spotting almost constantly, usually ending up with a patch of blood about 2X1 inches in dimension by the end of the day. The bleeding seemed to be almost over about a week ago, but I, due to the inhibited reasoning skills caused by sexual arousal, masturbated, causing the bleeding to return. Since then, I've been emitting a constant amount of dark-brown blood every day.
I am on the pill, and will be taking my placebos next week.
I would like to know whether or not this is something I should be concerned about, or, if I leave myself alone, it will stop.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:01 am

User avatar Hello,
This is not something to worry about and I suspect it will resolve on its own. Having a rest from sex is probably a good idea but it isn't dangerous either. The fact that the blood was brown indicates it is old blood that was kind of stuck in there long enough to take on a different color. Don't stress unless you get high volume bleeding (soaking a pad or tampon every hour for several hours).

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here