News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: Can I be pregnant with a Paraguard IUD

foreveryourz07 - Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:42 am

I had my daughter in September 2008, at my 6 week check up in Nov. 2008 I had a paragard IUD inserted. I have been able to feel the string every time I have checked. I had a check up n pap smear done in April 2010 my doctor said he could feel the string and everything was okay. Me n my fiance have not been very sexually active in the last year or so because of our schedules. The first day of my last menstrual cycle was July 26th, my periods are pretty regular around 28 days. This month (August) me and my fiance have had sex around 6-7 times already (We have had a lot of time together). On August 11th I did a random check for my string and I cannot find it (I have had my IUD for almost 2 years never had this problem). i checked a few times that day, and then I checked again the 12th, and again today in the shower, its still not there. I did an ovulation calculator to find out when my fertile days would have been and it was Aug 6th- Aug 11th, which we have had sex 4 out of 6 of those days. I do not actually know when my string first disappeared, I just know on the August 11th it wasnt there. My breasts are sore but nothing else other then that. What are the chances that after 2 years my IUD fell out or moved? And what are the chances that I could be pregnant? I still have 2 weeks or so until my period but I knew really early with my first pregnancy (at about 3 weeks) I feel like Im getting myself worked up and it can't even be possible.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:47 am

User avatar Hello,
There are cases where women get pregnant with an IUD in place but this is not common - only about one in 100 users in a year's time. The IUD can also move but it is also possible the strings have just moved up so try not to worry. By the time your period is due, if you don't get it, take a pregnancy test. Chances are you are not pregnant but if you are you will need to see your doctor soon to evaluate the placement of the IUD. If it has been lost of course your risk of pregnancy would be higher. If it is still there and you are pregnant, removal may be needed.

Sometimes a doctor can locate the strings and bring them back down into position. At any rate, you will want to have this checked even if you are not pregnant so you can be sure it is where it should be.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here