News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: pregnant with chlamydia

Paovale - Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:19 pm

OK so Im lost. On 8/5/10 I had my second sonogram done. I was 34 weeks going into 35 weeks the next day. Then the nurse who was dong my sonogram tells me Im 36 weeks going into 37 weeks. What? My first due date was 8/13/10 but with my first sonogram they said 9/10/10. I don't have a private doctor which I can just call. I go to one of those Osceola Clinics. I try calling to change my appointment which is for the 21 of this month because I was tested positive for chlamydia. They gave me the medicine and said they will test me at 36 weeks to see if i still have it. When I try to explain to the appoinment lady she didn't want to change my appointment because is nothing to worry about. Im a first time mom and ofcourse Im goint to worry. I don't know when is my due date and If I break water and still have chlamydia I don't want my baby to get infected so I just perfer a C-section. Im register at Winnie Palmer Hospital in Florida. What are my chances of having a C-section and the babt not getting infected?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:34 am

User avatar Hello,
C-section is a very serious surgery and should only be undertaken when there is definite risk to the mother or baby in a normal vaginal delivery. The treatment you were given should have taken care of the chlamydia and that is why they have told you not to worry, I'm sure. It is important to take the antibiotics as prescribed and completely. If so you will be safe. If by chance you had the infection going into labor you could be tested and a decision about delivery could be made at that time. Just going into labor would not put your baby at risk, particularly after treatment and you should be able to deliver normally.

The due date determined by the ultrasound exam is usually quite accurate but this depends on when it was done. A recent sonogram would not be as accurate for dating as an early one. You should be able to talk to a provider on the phone (someone besides the appointment maker). Leave a message that you need to talk to the doctor or midwife caring for you so they can call you back and discuss your concerns as well as your changing estimated due date.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here