News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Hot flushes and sweats

AHF - Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:35 pm

For the last week I have been experiencing hot flushes and excessive sweating every 30/60 minutes. I have checked my temperature both before and during the sweats and this is 35.6 - 35.8. The sweats are happening both day and night. I exercise regularly, do no smoke and weigh around 63kg. I am 46 years old. the only other symptoms are slight headache and occasional fatigue. I am confused as I though flushes and sweats are the bodies way of cooling the body but my temperature is not elevated. What should i do, the frequency of the sweating is really causes me issues.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:05 pm

User avatar Hello,
The most obvious reason would be that you are entering the perimenopause period. I would talk with your doctor about the possible need for hormone replacement therapy. Sometimes this is only needed in the short-term and there are alternatives - even SSRI antidepressants have sometimes been found to be helpful. In addition to this, dress lightly with layers that can be removed when this happens and keep a hand fan handy along with a handkerchief. I know this is uncomfortable and very frustrating but there are effective treatments. Your doctor may choose to do a hormone level test to see if you appear to be experiencing decreased estrogen production.

If you are overweight, this can also contribute to the problem so I'm glad to see you are exercising regularly.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here