News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: I vomited right after I took my birth control pill.

extraneousness - Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:51 pm

I vomited literally 30 seconds after I took my birth control pill (ortho tri cyclen lo) so I'm considering it missed. It was the 4th active pill in the pack. The directions that came with my prescription tell me what to do if I miss a pill and it's still in the pack (take it as soon as possible) but not what to do if I miss a pill and don't have a replacement. I called three pharmacies to no avail, and I called my doctors office but they closed at 11:45 in the morning.

Thankfully, I'm not concerned about pregnancy this month, but I am concerned about what this will do to my cycle/period. It'd be nice to know what to do for future reference, also. Is having another pill pack on hand the only option? Will completely missing this pill screw up my cycle?

Thank you!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:31 pm

User avatar Hello,
You can take the last pill in the pack, thereby making your cycle shortened by one day. This is not a problem so if this happens again and you need to take a replacement pill, just go ahead and take one. Altering your cycle by a day or two is not a problem and missing one pill is not serious. If you are sexually active, missing two puts you at a greater risk; missing one is less of a concern.

Just start the next pack as you usually would. You should get your withdrawal bleeding (period) during that time.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here